logo: UCLA Registrar's Officeclickable image map to Registrar's Office home page      
REGISTRATION & CLASSES  white vertical divider graphic  FEES & RESIDENCE  white vertical divider graphic  ACADEMICS  white vertical divider graphic  STUDENT RECORDS  white vertical divider graphic  CALENDARS  white vertical divider graphic  FACULTY & STAFF  white vertical divider graphic  FORMS  white vertical divider graphic  ARCHIVES       

UCLA General Catalog 2016-17

CATALOG HOME  blue vertical divider graphic  ABOUT UCLA  blue vertical divider graphic  COLLEGE AND SCHOOLS  blue vertical divider graphic  UNDERGRADUATE STUDY  blue vertical divider graphic  GRADUATE STUDY
ACADEMIC POLICIES  blue vertical divider graphic  CURRICULA AND COURSES  blue vertical divider graphic  APPENDIXES  blue vertical divider graphic  CATALOG PDF

Majors and Degrees

Students may choose from over 125 majors in a wide variety of disciplines offered through the undergraduate degree programs of the College of Letters and Science, School of the Arts and Architecture, Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, Herb Alpert School of Music, School of Nursing, and School of Theater, Film, and Television. For a complete list of major programs and degrees, see the table in the front of this catalog.

Planning a Major

New students should obtain academic counseling before enrolling in classes at UCLA. Counselors can help new students formulate degree objectives based on interests, abilities, and career goals. As students begin to decide on a major, counselors can help them start fulfilling College or school requirements as well as the department requirements necessary for completion of the degree program.

Declaring a Major

Regulations and procedures for declaring a major vary for the College and each school. Students in the College of Letters and Science do not need to declare a major in their freshman year and can attend with an undeclared major until the end of their sophomore year. Certain schools require students to choose a major when applying for admission, or require early declaration. Check specific policies for declaration with the school or department adviser.

All students must declare a major by the beginning of their junior year (90 quarter units). To declare a major, obtain a Petition to Declare a Major at the College or school office. There is no fee for the petition.

Individual Majors

Highly motivated students who find that no single major accommodates their specific interest in a given subject may propose designing their own major. Proposals are prepared with faculty guidance and sponsorship and are thoroughly examined for cogency, completeness, and academic merit. Requirements for individual majors vary among the College and schools.

Changing Majors

Changing majors requires the approval of the College or school and the department. To change majors, obtain a Program Change Petition at the department office or online.