logo: UCLA Registrar's Officeclickable image map to Registrar's Office home page      
REGISTRATION & CLASSES  white vertical divider graphic  FEES & RESIDENCE  white vertical divider graphic  ACADEMICS  white vertical divider graphic  STUDENT RECORDS  white vertical divider graphic  CALENDARS  white vertical divider graphic  FACULTY & STAFF  white vertical divider graphic  FORMS  white vertical divider graphic  ARCHIVES       

UCLA General Catalog 2016-17

CATALOG HOME  blue vertical divider graphic  ABOUT UCLA  blue vertical divider graphic  COLLEGE AND SCHOOLS  blue vertical divider graphic  UNDERGRADUATE STUDY  blue vertical divider graphic  GRADUATE STUDY
ACADEMIC POLICIES  blue vertical divider graphic  CURRICULA AND COURSES  blue vertical divider graphic  APPENDIXES  blue vertical divider graphic  CATALOG PDF


The work of all students at UCLA is reported in terms of grades. Instructors are required to assign a final grade for each student registered in a course.

Undergraduate Grades

The following grades are used to report the quality of undergraduate student work at UCLA:

A+ Extraordinary
A Superior
B Good
C Fair
D Poor
F Fail
P Passed (achievement at grade C level or better)
NP Not Passed
I Incomplete
IP In Progress
DR Deferred Report

Grades A, B, C, and D may be modified by a plus (+) or minus (-) suffix. Grades A, B, C, and P denote satisfactory progress toward the degree, but a D grade must be offset by higher grades in the same term for students to remain in good academic standing. An F grade yields no unit or course credit.

Graduate Grades

The following grades are used to report the quality of graduate student work at UCLA:

A Superior Achievement
B Satisfactorily demonstrated potentiality for professional achievement in field of study
C Passed the course but did not do work indicative of potentiality for professional achievement in field of study
F Fail
S Satisfactory (achievement at grade B level or better)
U Unsatisfactory
I Incomplete
IP In Progress
DR Deferred Report

The grades A, B, and C may be modified by a plus or minus suffix. The grades A, B, and S denote satisfactory progress toward the degree, but a C grade must be offset by higher grades in the same term for students to remain in good academic standing. Courses in which a C grade is received, however, may be applied toward graduate degrees unless otherwise prohibited by the program requirements.

The Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, and Law use their own grading codes. Students who are interested in programs in any of these schools should consult the appropriate school announcement.

Grade Points

Grade points per unit are assigned by the Registrar as follows:

C– 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D– 0.7
F 0.0
NP 0.0
U 0.0
A+ 4.0
A 4.0
A– 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B– 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0

As indicated, a plus (+) or minus (-) suffix added to a grade raises or lowers the grade-point value, except in the case of A+, which carries the same number of grade points as the A grade. Courses in which students receive a P or S grade may count toward satisfaction of degree requirements, but these grades, as well as DR, I, IP, and NR, are disregarded in determining the grade-point average. (If an I grade is later removed and a letter grade assigned, units and grade points are included in subsequent GPAs.) NR indicates that no grade was received from the instructor.

Grade-Point Average

The grade-point average is determined by dividing the number of grade points earned by the number of units attempted. The total grade points earned for a course equals the number of grade points assigned times the number of course units. For example, if a student takes three four-unit courses and receives grades of A-, B-, and C+, then the GPA for the term equals the total grade points (34.8) divided by the total course units (12). The GPA is 2.9. For satisfactory standing, undergraduate students must maintain a C average (2.0 GPA) and graduate students a B average (3.0 GPA) in all courses taken at any campus of the University (except UCLA Extension).

Only grades earned in regular session or summer sessions at any UC campus and grades earned by Arts and Architecture and Letters and Science undergraduate students in UCLA Extension courses prefixed by XLC are computed in the UCLA grade-point average. Grades earned at another institution or in UCLA Extension courses other than those prefixed by XLC do not affect the GPA.

Other schools and agencies may calculate GPAs differently from the University when evaluating records for admission to graduate and professional school programs. Students should contact them about their policies in this regard.

Grade Grade
Total Grade Points
A– 3.7 4 14.8
B– 2.7 4 10.8
C+ 2.3 4 9.2
     Total        12      34.8

Passed/Not Passed Grades

Undergraduate students in good standing who are enrolled in at least 12 units (14 in the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science) may take certain courses on a Passed/Not Passed (P/NP) basis.

The grade P is assigned for a letter grade of C or better. Units earned this way count toward degree requirements but do not affect the GPA. Students receive neither units nor course credit for an NP grade.

Students may enroll in one course each term on a P/NP basis (two courses if they have not elected the P/NP option in the preceding term). Their department or school may require that they take some or all courses in their major for a letter grade. Certain other courses or programs may also be exempt from the P/NP option; consult the College or school for details.

Students may make program changes to or from P/NP grading through the sixth week of instruction through MyUCLA.

Courses that are offered only on a P/NP basis are designated PN in the Schedule of Classes.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades

Graduate students in good standing (minimum 3.0 GPA) may enroll for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading in one graduate or upper division course outside the major field each term, in addition to any courses offered only on an S/U grading basis within the major. The grade S is assigned for a letter grade of B or better, but units earned in this manner are not counted in computing the GPA. Students receive neither units nor degree credit for a U grade. They may not elect the S/U option for Summer Sessions courses without an approved petition.

Courses taken on an S/U basis outside the major, and 500-series courses within the major, are applicable toward degree and/or academic residency requirements if so approved. Interdepartmental majors may not apply S/U courses to degree requirements, except for 500-series courses. Program changes to or from S/U grading may be made through the tenth week of instruction through MyUCLA.

Courses that are offered only on an S/U basis are designated SU in the Schedule of Classes.

Incomplete Grades

Once an Incomplete (I) grade is assigned, it remains on the transcript along with the passing grade students may later receive for the course. The instructor may assign the I grade when work is of passing quality but is incomplete for a good cause (such as illness or other serious problem). It is the student’s responsibility to discuss with the instructor the possibility of receiving an I grade as opposed to a nonpassing grade.

If an I grade is assigned, students may receive unit credit and grade points by satisfactorily completing the coursework as specified by the instructor. Students should not re-enroll in the course; if they do, it is recorded twice on the transcript. If the work is not completed by the end of the next full term in residence, the I grade lapses to an F, NP, or U as appropriate. The College or school may extend the deadline in unusual cases (not applicable to graduate students).

In Progress Grades

For certain courses extending over more than one term, evaluation of student performance is deferred until the end of the final term of the course. Provisional grades of In Progress (IP) are assigned in the intervening term(s) and are replaced with the final grade when students complete the full sequence. The school or College faculty or the Graduate Division determines credit if they do not complete the full sequence and petition for partial credit.

Deferred Report Grades

Students may receive a Deferred Report (DR) grade when the instructor believes their work to be complete but cannot assign a grade because of disciplinary proceedings or other problems. If students are given a DR grade, the Office of the Dean of Students assists them in resolving the problem. For graduate students, the dean of the Graduate Division sets a deadline by which the DR lapses to an F if the problem is not resolved and a grade assigned. The DR is changed to a grade, or perhaps to an Incomplete, when the instructor provides written confirmation that the situation is resolved. The DR grade is not included in determining the grade-point average.

Correction of Grades

All grades except DR, I, and IP are final when filed by the instructor in the end-of-term course report. Thereafter, a grade change may be made only in case of a clerical or procedural error or other unusual circumstances. No grade may be revised by re-examination or, with the exception of I and IP grades, by completing additional work. Students who are dissatisfied with a grade should review their work with the instructor and receive an explanation of the grade assigned. All grade changes are recorded on the transcript. See the Appendix for further details and procedures for appealing grades.