19. Fiat Lux Freshman Seminars. (1) Seminar, one hour. Discussion of and critical thinking about topics of current intellectual importance, taught by faculty members in their areas of expertise and illuminating many paths of discovery at UCLA. P/NP grading.
99. Student Research Program. (1 to 2) Tutorial (supervised research or other scholarly work), three hours per week per unit. Entry-level research for lower-division students under guidance of faculty mentor. Students must be in good academic standing and enrolled in minimum of 12 units (excluding this course). Individual contract required; consult Undergraduate Research Center. May be repeated. P/NP grading.
106. Functional Neuroanatomy. (4) Lecture/laboratory, three two-hour sessions. Designed for dental students. Lectures, demonstrations, and laboratories dealing with structure and functional organization of nervous system. P/NP or letter grading.
M169. History of Neurosciences. (4) (Same as Medical History M169.) Lecture, one hour; discussion, two hours. Development of neurosciences, especially neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, from Enlightenment era through latter 20th century. Emphasis on fundamental nerve functions, cell communication, and technological, conceptual, and cultural influences that have shaped understanding of brain and nervous system. P/NP or letter grading.
M171. Variable Topics Research Seminars: Contemporary Biology. (2) (Same as Physiological Science M171.) Seminar, two hours. Limited to undergraduate fellows in Howard Hughes Undergraduate Research Program. Presentations of scientific data from primary research articles and from students’s own research. May be repeated for credit. P/NP grading.
197. Individual Studies in Neurobiology. (2 to 4) Tutorial, to be arranged. Limited to juniors/seniors. Individual intensive study, with scheduled meetings to be arranged between faculty member and student. Assigned readings and tangible evidence of mastery of subject matter required. May be repeated for credit. Individual contract required. P/NP or letter grading.
199. Directed Research in Neurobiology. (2 to 8) Tutorial, to be arranged. Limited to juniors/seniors. Supervised individual research or investigation under guidance of faculty mentor. Studies in anatomy and related subject areas appropriate for training of particular students, which includes reading assignments or laboratory work leading to final oral or written report. May be repeated for maximum of 16 units. Individual contract required. P/NP or letter grading.