Absence and Readmission

Cancellation and Withdrawal


Before the first day of classes, students may cancel registration by completing and submitting a Cancellation of Registration form, or faxing written notice to 310-206-4520. Refund is as follows: fees paid by new undergraduate and Dentistry students are refunded except for the nonrefundable acceptance of admission fee; for new graduate, undergraduate, continuing, and re-entering students, a service fee is deducted from the amount of fees paid.

Graduate students who cancel their registration and do not apply for a formal leave of absence must file for readmission to return to UCLA.


Withdrawing from UCLA means discontinuing attendance in all courses in which the student enrolled. Students who withdraw during a term must file a Withdrawal Notice.

When students officially withdraw, a percentage of the term fees may be refunded depending on the date the withdrawal form is filed. Refer to the Registrar’s withdrawal page for policy details and specific refund dates.

The UCSHIP fee is nonrefundable in most cases. Contact the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center insurance office for more information.

Students may withdraw only if they have not taken any final examinations or otherwise completed the work in any classes. For undergraduates, one withdrawal places no restriction on readmission or continuation if they started the term in good academic standing. If they withdraw after one or more previous withdrawals or while in academic difficulty, a restriction may be placed on their continuance in undergraduate standing. Before withdrawing, they are urged to consult with faculty, department, or College or school advisers to consider the full implications of this action.

Undergraduates may also withdraw from a term retroactively, provided no final examinations have been taken and no coursework has been completed. No withdrawals are accepted once they have officially graduated from UCLA.