Absence and Readmission

One-Term Absence and Planned Academic Leave

Undergraduate One-Term Absence

Undergraduate students who complete a term (fall, winter, or spring quarter) and do not register the following term may return to UCLA the subsequent term as a continuing student, and be eligible to register and enroll in advance.

Students on a one-term absence who plan to attend another institution — including UCLA Extension — should discuss plans with their College or school counselor before enrolling elsewhere. On returning to UCLA, students must have an official transcript sent from the institution directly to UCLA Undergraduate Admission to have coursework evaluated.

Planned Academic Leave (PAL) for International Travel

Students who plan to participate in a study-abroad program sponsored by an institution other than the University of California are required to take a planned academic leave of absence (PAL) from UCLA. After they are accepted into a program, students must register the program with the UCLA International Education Office (IEO), B300 Murphy Hall. Registering the program also generates the student application for the PAL.

See IEO non-UC programs for program and registration requirements.

Students returning from an approved PAL for participation in a registered non-UC study abroad program are not required to seek readmission, but must provide official transcripts for coursework evaluation.