Grading Regulations

Assigning a Grade

The instructor in charge of a course is responsible for determining the grade of each student in the course. The standards for evaluating student performance are based on the course description as approved by the appropriate course committee.

The final grade in the course is based on the instructor’s evaluation of the student’s achievement in the course. When on an examination or other work submitted by a student, the student is suspected of having engaged in plagiarism or otherwise having cheated, the suspected infraction is to be reported to the appropriate administrative officer of the University for consideration of disciplinary proceedings against the student. Until such proceedings, if any, have been completed, the Deferred Report (DR) grade is assigned for that course. If in such disciplinary proceedings it is determined that the student did engage in plagiarism or otherwise cheat, the administrative officer, in addition to imposing discipline, reports the nature of the plagiarism or cheating back to the instructor of the course involved. In light of that report, the instructor may replace the DR grade with a final grade that reflects an evaluation of that which may fairly be designated as the student’s own achievement in the course as distinguished from any achievement that resulted from plagiarism or cheating.

Grade Complaints

A grade may be appealed, on any reasonable grounds, to the instructor, the chair of the department, and the dean of the division or school.

If the student believes that the instructor has violated the Faculty Code of Conduct by assigning the grade on any basis other than academic grounds, the matter should first be taken up with the instructor. If the matter is not resolved, the student may go for counsel to the Office of Ombuds Services, or may follow the procedures for the formal filing of charges. If a charge is sustained by the Academic Senate committees on Charges and on Privilege and Tenure, an ad hoc committee is appointed within two weeks to review the disputed grade, and any warranted change is made within four weeks.

Correction of Grades

All grades, except DR, I, and IP, are final when filed by the instructor in the end-of-term course report. However, the Registrar’s Office is authorized to change a final grade (1) on written request of an instructor, provided that a clerical or procedural error is the reason for the change; or (2) on written request of the chair of the UCLA Academic Senate, in cases where it has been determined by the Committee on Privilege and Tenure that an instructor has assigned a grade on any basis other than academic grounds. No change of grade may be made on the basis of re-examination or, with the exception of I and IP grades, the completion of additional work. Any grade change request made more than one year after the original filing must be validated for authenticity of the instructor’s signature by the department chair. Any grade change request made by an instructor who has left UCLA must be countersigned by the department chair. No grade change may be made once a student has graduated. All grade changes are recorded on the transcript.