College and Schools / Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science

Policies and Regulations

Degree requirements are subject to policies and regulations, including the following:

Student Responsibility

Students should take advantage of academic support resources, but they are ultimately responsible for keeping informed of and complying with the rules, regulations, and policies affecting their academic standing.

Study List

The study list is a record of classes that a student is taking during a particular term. It is the student’s responsibility to present a study list that reflects satisfactory progress toward the degree. Study lists or programs of study that do not comply with the standards set by the faculty may result in enforced withdrawal from UCLA or other academic action. Study lists require approval of the dean of the school or a designated representative.

Undergraduate students in the school are expected to enroll in at least 12 units each term. Students enrolling in fewer than 12 units must obtain approval by petition to the dean before enrolling in classes. The normal program is 16 units per term. Students may not enroll in more than 21 units per term unless an Excess Unit Petition is approved in advance by the dean.

Minimum Progress

Full-time undergraduate students must complete a minimum of 36 units in three consecutive terms in which they are registered.

Credit Limitations

The following credit limitations apply to all undergraduate students enrolled in the school:

Advanced Placement Examinations

Some portions of Advanced Placement (AP) Examination credit are evaluated by corresponding UCLA course number. If students take the equivalent UCLA course, a deduction of UCLA unit credit is made prior to graduation. See the school AP table.

College Level Examination Program

Credit earned through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) may not be applied toward the bachelor’s degree.

Community College/Lower Division Transfer Limitation

Effective for students admitted fall 2017 and later, after completing 105 lower-division quarter units toward the degree in all institutions attended, students are allowed no further unit credit for courses completed at a community college or for lower-division courses completed at any institution outside of the University of California. The University of California does not grant transfer credit for community college or lower-division courses beyond 105 quarter units, but students may still receive subject credit for this coursework to satisfy lower-division requirements. Units earned through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and/or A-Level examinations are not included in the limitation. Units earned at any UC campus (through extension, summer, cross-campus, UCEAP, Intercampus Visitor Program, and regular academic year enrollment) are not included in the limitation. To convert semester units into quarter units, multiply the semester units by 1.5; for example, 12 semester units x 1.5 = 18 quarter units. To convert quarter units into semester units, multiply the quarter units by .666; for example, 12 quarter units x .666 = 7.99 or 8 semester units.

Foreign Language

No credit is granted toward the bachelor’s degree for college foreign language courses equivalent to quarter levels one and two, if the equivalent of level two of the same language was completed with satisfactory grades in high school.

Repetition of Courses

For undergraduate students who repeat a total of 16 or fewer units, only the most recently earned letter grades and grade points are computed in the grade-point average (GPA). After repeating 16 units, the GPA is based on all letter grades assigned and total units attempted. The grade assigned each time a course is taken is permanently recorded on the transcript.

  1. To improve the grade-point average (GPA), students may repeat only those courses in which they receive a C− grade or lower; NP or U grades may be repeated to gain unit credit. Courses in which a letter grade is received may not be repeated on a P/NP or S/U basis. Courses originally taken on a P/NP or S/U basis may be repeated on the same basis or for a letter grade.
  2. Repetition of a course more than once requires the apĀ­proval of the College or school or the dean of the Graduate Division and is granted only under extraordinary circumstances.
  3. Degree credit for a course is given only once, but the grade assigned each time the course is taken is permanently recorded on the transcript.
  4. There is no guarantee that in a later term a course can be repeated (such as in cases when a course is deleted or no longer offered). In these cases, students should consult with their academic counselor to determine if there is an alternate course that can be taken to satisfy a requirement. The alternate course would not count as a repeat of the original course.