College and Schools / Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science

Counseling Services

Academic counselors in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs assist students with UCLA procedures and answer questions related to general requirements.

New undergraduate students must have their course of study approved by an academic counselor. After the first term, curricular and career advising is accomplished on a formal basis. Freshmen students are assigned a faculty adviser in their particular specialization.

In addition, undergraduate students are assigned, by major, to an academic counselor in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs who provides them with advice regarding general requirements for degrees, and UC, UCLA, and school regulations and procedures. It is the student’s responsibility to periodically meet with their academic counselor, as well as with their faculty adviser, to discuss curriculum requirements, programs of study, and any other academic matters of concern.

Students normally follow the curriculum in effect when they enter the school. California community college transfer students may also select the curriculum in the catalog in effect at the time they began their community college work in an engineering program, provided attendance has been continuous since that time.

Students admitted to UCLA in fall quarter 2012 and thereafter use the Degree Audit system, which can be accessed through MyUCLA. Students should contact their academic counselor in 6426 Boelter Hall with any questions.

Undergraduate students admitted to UCLA prior to fall quarter 2012 and beginning their upper-division major field coursework are advised to meet with their academic counselor in 6426 Boelter Hall to review their degree requirements.