College and Schools / Herb Alpert School of Music

Policies and Regulations

Degree requirements are subject to policies and regulations, including the following:

Student Responsibility

Students should take advantage of academic support resources, but they are ultimately responsible for keeping informed of and complying with the rules, regulations, and policies affecting their academic standing.

Study List

Each term the student study list must include from 15 to 20 units. The school has no provision for part-time enrollment. After the first term, students may petition to carry more than 20 units if they have an overall grade-point average of 3.0 (B) or better and have attained at least a 3.0 (B) average in the preceding term with all courses passed. Contact the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management no later than the end of the second week of instruction to petition for more than 20 units.

Minimum Progress

Students are expected to complete satisfactorily at least 40 units during any three consecutive terms in residence; they are placed on probation if they fail to pass these units. Students are subject to disqualification if they fail to pass at least 32 units in three consecutive regular terms in residence.

Changing a Major

Students in good academic standing who wish to change their major may petition to do so, provided they can complete the new major within the 216 unit limit and normal time to degree (12 terms for students who entered as freshmen; six terms for students who entered as transfers). Petitions must be submitted to and approved by the department or committee in charge of the new major. Admission to certain majors may be closed or restricted. Changes are normally not permitted if students are on probation or have begun their last term.

Concurrent Enrollment

Enrollment at a non-UC institution or at UCLA Extension while enrolled at UCLA is not permitted.

Credit Limitations

The following credit limitations apply to all undergraduate students enrolled in the school:

Advanced Placement Examinations

Credit earned through the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations may be applied toward certain UC/school requirements. Consult with a counselor in the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management to determine applicable credit. Portions of AP Examination credit may be evaluated by corresponding UCLA course numbers (e.g., French 4). If students take the equivalent UCLA course, unit credit for such duplication is deducted before graduation. See the school AP table for UCLA course equivalents.

Graduate Courses

Undergraduate students who wish to take courses numbered in the 200 series for credit toward a specific degree requirement must petition for advance approval of the department chair and dean of the school, and must meet specific qualifications. Courses numbered in the 400 and 500 series may not be applied toward the degree.