College and Schools / Meyer and Renee Luskin School of Public Affairs

Policies and Regulations

Degree requirements are subject to policies and regulations, including the following:

Student Responsibility

Students should take advantage of academic support resources, but they are ultimately responsible for keeping informed of and complying with the rules, regulations, and policies affecting their academic standing.

Study List

The study list is a record of classes that a student is taking during a particular term. Each term the student study list must include from 12 to 19 units. After the first term, students may petition to enroll in more than 19 units if they have an overall grade-point average of 3.0 (B) and attained at least a 3.0 (B) grade-point average the preceding term with all courses passed.

First-term transfer students from any other UC campus may carry excess units on the same basis as students who have completed one or more terms at UCLA; however, they are not encouraged to do so.

Minimum Progress

Students are expected to complete satisfactorily at least 36 units in any three consecutive terms while in residence; they are placed on probation if they fail to pass these units. They are subject to dismissal if they fail to pass at least 32 units in three consecutive regular terms while in residence.

Changing a Major

Students in good academic standing who wish to change their major may petition to do so provided they can complete the new major within the 216-unit limit and are on track to graduate on time. Petitions must be submitted to and approved by the department or committee in charge of the new major. Admission to certain majors may be closed or restricted. Changes are normally not permitted if students are on probation or have begun their last term.

Students who fail to attain a grade-point average of 2.0 (C) in preparation for the major or major courses may be denied the privilege of entering or continuing in that major.

Re-entering Students and Their Majors

Students returning to UCLA to resume their studies after an absence of several years may find their previous major area of study is no longer available. They must select a current major in which to complete their studies. Consult with an academic adviser for assistance.

Concurrent Enrollment

Enrollment at a non-UC institution or UCLA Extension while enrolled at UCLA is not permitted except in extraordinary circumstances. No credit is given for courses taken concurrently elsewhere without the approval of the school.

Credit Limitations

The following credit limitations apply to all undergraduate students. In many cases, units are not deducted until the final term before graduation. Students with questions should consult with an academic adviser.

Transfer students with credit from other institutions (advanced standing credit) receive a Degree Audit from Undergraduate Admission indicating the transferable units from former institutions; however, the following credit limitations may reduce the total number of transferred units that apply toward the degree in the school. Consult with an adviser about these limitations.

Upper-Division Tutorials. No more than 8 units of credit may be taken per term in upper-division tutorials numĀ­bered 195 through 199. The total number of units allowed in such courses for a letter grade is 32; see specific restricĀ­tions under each department.

Graduate Courses. Undergraduate students who wish to take courses numbered in the 200 series for credit toward a specific degree requirement must petition for advance approval of the department chair and the dean of the school. Courses numbered in the 300, 400, and 500 series may not be applied toward the degree.