College and Schools / School of the Arts and Architecture


Undergraduate students who achieve scholastic distinction may qualify for the following honors and programs:

Dean’s Honors

To receive Dean’s Honors, students must have at least 12 graded units per term with a grade-point average (GPA) of 3.8 for fewer than 16 units of work (3.7 GPA for 16 or more units). The honor is posted on the transcript for the appropriate term. Students are not eligible for Dean’s Honors in any given term if they receive an Incomplete or a Not Passed (NP) grade, change a grade, or repeat a course.

Latin Honors

Latin Honors are awarded at graduation to students with superior grade-point averages. To be eligible, students must have completed 90 or more units for a letter grade at the University of California and must have attained an overall grade-point average (GPA) at graduation that places them in the top five percent of the school (GPA of 3.922 or better) for summa cum laude, the next five percent (GPA of 3.869 or better) for magna cum laude, or the next 10 percent (GPA of 3.815 or better) for cum laude. The minimum GPAs required are subject to change on an annual basis. Required GPAs in effect in the graduating year determine student eligibility. Contact the Office of Student Services or see Registrar’s honors for the most current calculations of Latin honors.

Departmental Scholar Program

Exceptionally promising juniors or seniors may be nominated as Departmental Scholars to pursue bachelor’s and master’s degree programs simultaneously. Qualifications include completion of 24 courses (96 quarter units) at UCLA or the equivalent at a similar institution and the requirements in preparation for the major. Students must also have at least one term of coursework remaining at UCLA. To obtain both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees students must be provisionally admitted to the Graduate Division, fulfill requirements for each program, and maintain a minimum 3.0 (B) average. No course may be used to fulfill requirements for both degrees. Interested students should consult their department well in advance of application dates for graduate admission. Contact the Office of Student Services in 2200 Broad Art Center for details.