College and Schools / School of Theater, Film, and Television

School Requirements

There are seven requirements that must be satisfied for award of a degree.

Unit Requirement

Students must satisfactorily complete for credit a minimum of 180 units for the bachelor’s degree. At least 64 of the 180 units must be upper-division courses numbered 100 through 199. A maximum of 216 units is permitted. Students with Advanced Placement Examination or International Baccalaureate Examination (transfer) credit may exceed the unit maximum by the amount of that credit.

Scholarship Requirement

Students must earn at least a 2.0 (C) grade-point average in all courses undertaken at the University of California for receipt of the bachelor’s degree, and in all upper-division courses in the major, and in all courses applied toward the general education requirements.

Academic Residence Requirement

Students are in residence while enrolled and attending classes at UCLA with a declared major in the School of Theater, Film, and Television. Of the last 45 units completed for the bachelor’s degree, 35 must be earned in residence at the school. No more than 18 of the 35 units may be completed in UCLA summer sessions.

Courses offered by UCLA Extension may not be applied toward any part of the residence requirements.

Writing Requirement

Foreign Language Requirement

Students may meet the foreign language requirement by scoring 3, 4, or 5 on the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) foreign language examination in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish, or scoring 4 or 5 on the AP foreign language examination in Latin; presenting a UCLA foreign language proficiency examination score indicating competency through level three; or completing one college-level foreign language course equivalent to level three or above at UCLA with a grade of Passed or C or better.

Transfer students with 90 or more units who have completed the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) will have satisfied the foreign language requirement.

International students may petition to use an advanced course in their native language for this requirement. Students whose entire secondary education has been completed in a language other than English may petition to be exempt from the foreign language requirement.

Courses that may be used to fulfill this requirement are published on Registrar’s foreign language requirement.

Upper-Division Nonmajor Requirement

Students must complete at least three upper-division nonmajor courses (100-level) for a minimum of 12 units. Graduate (200-level) courses may not be applied toward this requirement.

A course used to satisfy the upper-division nonmajor requirement may also be used to satisfy the Writing II requirement.

A course used to satisfy the upper-division nonmajor requirement may not also be applied toward a foundation area in general education.

General Education Requirements