College and Schools / School of Theater, Film, and Television

Policies and Regulations

Degree requirements are subject to policies and regulations, including the following:

Student Responsibility

Students should take advantage of academic support resources, but they are ultimately responsible for keeping informed of and complying with the rules, regulations, and policies affecting their academic standing.

Study List

The study list is a record of classes that a student is taking for a particular term. Each term the study list must include from 12 to 19 units. The school has no provision for part-time enrollment. After the first term, students may petition to enroll in more than 19 units (up to 22 units maximum) if they have an overall grade-point averĀ­age of 3.0 (B) or better and have attained at least a 3.0 (B) grade-point average in the preceding term with all courses passed. Excess units petitions must be filed and approved by the Student Services Office no later than the end of the third week of instruction.

First-term transfer students from any other UC campus may carry excess units on the same basis as students who have completed one or more terms at UCLA; however, they are not encouraged to do so.

Minimum Progress

During a regular term of enrollment, undergraduate students are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 units.

Students are expected to complete satisfactorily at least 36 units during any three consecutive terms in residence; they are placed on probation if they fail to pass these units. Students are subject to dismissal if they fail to pass at least 32 units in three consecutive regular terms in residence.

Changing a Major

Students in good academic standing who wish to change their major may petition to do so, provided they can complete the new major within the 216 unit limit. Petitions must be submitted to and approved by the department or committee in charge of the new major. Admission to certain majors may be closed or restricted. Changes are normally not permitted if students are on probation or have begun their last term.

Due to curriculum changes, students in the Theater major are no longer allowed to change their major to Film and Television at the end of their sophomore year.

Concurrent Enrollment

Enrollment at a non-UC institution or UCLA Extension while enrolled at UCLA is not permitted except in extraordinary circumstances. No credit is given for courses taken concurrently elsewhere without the approval of the school.

Credit Limitations

The following credit limitations apply to all undergraduate students enrolled in the school:

Advanced Placement Examinations

Credit earned through the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations may be applied toward certain UC/school requirements. Consult with a counselor in the Student Services Office to determine applicable credit. Portions of AP Examination credit may be evaluated by corresponding UCLA course numbers. If students take the equivalent UCLA course, unit credit for such duplication is deducted before graduation. See the school AP table for UCLA course equivalents.

Graduate Courses

Undergraduate students who wish to take graduate courses (200 level) for credit toward the bachelor’s degree must petition for advance approval of the department chair and the dean of the school, and must meet specific qualifications. Courses numbered in the 300, 400, and 500 series are not open for credit to undergraduate students.

UCLA Extension

Extension courses with the prefix X on those numbered in the 1 through 199, 200, 300, 400, or 800 series may not be applied toward the degree.

Upper-Division Tutorials

Credit for upper-division tutorials numbered 195 through 199 is limited to a maximum of 8 units in a single term, and a maximum of 32 units total for a letter grade.