Undergraduate Study

Asian American Studies Minor

The Asian American Studies minor is designed for students who wish to gain understanding of and competence in Asian American Studies.

To enter the minor, students must have an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better, have completed two lower-division Asian American Studies courses, and file a petition with the undergraduate academic adviser, Asian American Studies Department, 3339 Rolfe Hall.

Required Lower-Division Courses (10 units): Two courses from Asian American Studies 10 or 10W, 20 or 20W, 30 or 30W, 40 or 40W, 50 or 50W.

Required Upper-Division Courses (20 units): A total of five upper-division courses as follows: one multidisciplinary approaches course selected from Asian American Studies 103 through M129, M161, M166B, M166C, M168, M172C, 187A, 191A, M191F; one creative expression course selected from 101, 112C, 120, 121, 122B, C142A, C142B, C142C, M173; one diversity course selected from 115, M116, 120, 130A, M130B, M130C, 131A, 131B, 131C, 132A, 133, 134, 143B, M143C, M160, M164, M165, M166A, 167, M169, 174A, 175A, 187C, 191C; one global/transnational perspectives course selected from 122A, 123, M163, M164, 170, 171A, 171B, 171C, M171D, 171E, M172A, 172B, M172C, 174B, 175B; and one engaged scholarship course selected from 140SL, 141A, 141B, M143A, M168, 195.

No more than 4 graded units of Asian American Studies 195, 197, 198, and 199 may be applied toward the minor. Courses 192 and 196 may not be applied toward the minor. Only courses in the department or those multiple-listed with the department may be taken to fulfill requirements for the minor.

A minimum of 20 units applied toward the minor requirements must be in addition to units applied toward major requirements or another minor.

Each minor course must be taken for a letter grade (courses offered only on a P/NP grading basis are acceptable), each must be at least 4 units, and students must have an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better in the minor. Successful completion of the minor is indicated on the transcript and diploma.