Other Grades

Passed/Not Passed Grades

Undergraduate students in good standing who are enrolled in at least 12 units (14 in the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science) may take certain courses on a Passed/Not Passed (P/NP) basis.

The grade P is assigned for a letter grade of C or better. Units earned this way count toward degree requirements but do not affect the GPA. Students receive neither units nor course credit for a grade of NP.

Students may enroll in one course each term on a P/NP basis (two courses if they have not elected the P/NP option in the preceding term). Their department or school may require that they take some or all courses in their major for a letter grade. Certain other courses or programs may also be exempt from the P/NP option; contact the College or school for details.

Students may make changes to or from P/NP grading through the sixth week of instruction using MyUCLA.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades

Graduate students in good standing (minimum 3.0 GPA) may enroll for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading in one graduate or upper-division course outside the major field each term, in addition to any courses offered only on an S/U grading basis within the major. The grade S is assigned for a letter grade of B or better, but units earned in this manner are not counted in computing the GPA. Students receive neither units nor degree credit for a grade of U. They may not elect the S/U option for summer session courses without an approved petition.

Courses taken on an S/U basis outside the major, and 500-series courses within the major, are applicable toward degree and/or academic residence requirements if so approved. Interdepartmental majors may not apply S/U courses to degree requirements, except for 500-series courses.

Students may make changes to or from S/U grading through the tenth week of instruction using MyUCLA.

Incomplete Grades

Once a grade of Incomplete (I) is assigned, it remains on the transcript along with the passing grade students may later receive for the course. The instructor may assign the grade I when work is of passing quality but is incomplete for a good cause (such as illness or other serious problem). It is the student’s responsibility to discuss with the instructor the possibility of receiving an Incomplete as opposed to a nonpassing grade.

If a grade of I is assigned, students may receive unit credit and grade points by satisfactorily completing the coursework as specified by the instructor. Students should not re-enroll in the course; if they do, it is recorded twice on the transcript. If the work is not completed by the end of the next full term in residence, the I lapses to an F, NP, or U as appropriate. For undergraduate students, the College or school may extend the deadline in unusual cases.

In Progress Grades

For certain courses extending over more than one term, evaluation of student performance is deferred until the end of the final term of the course. Provisional grades of In Progress (IP) are assigned in the intervening term(s) and are replaced with the final grade when students complete the full sequence. The College or school faculty, or the Graduate Division, determines credit if students do not complete the full sequence and petition for partial credit.

Deferred Report Grades

Students may receive a grade of Deferred Report (DR) when the instructor believes their work to be complete but cannot assign a grade because of disciplinary proceedings or other problems. If students are given a grade of DR, the Office of the Dean of Students assists them in resolving the problem. For graduate students, the dean of the Graduate Division sets a deadline by which the DR lapses to an F if the problem is not resolved and a grade assigned. The DR is changed to a grade, or perhaps to an Incomplete, when the instructor provides written confirmation that the situation is resolved. The DR is not included in determining the grade-point average.