logo: UCLA Registrar's Officeclickable image map to Registrar's Office home page     Forms  Archives    

UCLA General Catalog 2017-18

CATALOG HOME   blue vertical divider graphic  ABOUT UCLA   blue vertical divider graphic  MAJORS AND DEGREES   blue vertical divider graphic  COLLEGE AND SCHOOLS   blue vertical divider graphic  UNDERGRADUATE STUDY
GRADUATE STUDY  blue vertical divider graphic  ACADEMIC POLICIES   blue vertical divider graphic  CURRICULA AND COURSES   blue vertical divider graphic  APPENDIXES   blue vertical divider graphic  CATALOG PDF
    About UCLA

Student Life Services


From housing to transportation, basic student needs are facilitated by services designed to enhance all aspects of student living.


The UCLA Housing website is the best guide for finding the right kind of accommodation for different lifestyles and budgets. It includes detailed information about the different residence options, dining plans, support and extracurricular programs, and an online housing application.

On-Campus Housing

Many students, especially those in their first year, choose to live on campus. Besides the convenience, it’s a good way to meet other people and to find out about social and academic activities. Four residence halls, four deluxe residence halls, two residential suites, and five residential plazas accommodate over 11,000 undergraduate students. All on-campus housing buildings are coed and within walking distance to classrooms. New freshman and transfer students who are admitted for fall quarter and apply on time are guaranteed housing. Graduate student housing is also available.

Rooms in undergraduate residences are furnished and usually shared between two or three students. Meals are served daily at residential restaurants, and students may choose from a variety of meal plans.

Students apply for on-campus housing at the My Housing website, by the posted deadlines. Students who apply for winter or spring quarter are assigned housing on a space-available basis in the order the application is received.

Per-person costs for the academic year vary depending on housing type. See the housing rates web page for current rates.

The Office of Residential Life is responsible for student conduct in residence halls and suites. Its professional and student staff members can counsel students on residential problems.

Sponsored by Residential Life, Living Learning Communities offers students with similar interests an opportunity to live together and participate in programs according to their academic, social, and personal needs and interests. Students can live in communities as varied as gender, sexuality, and society; sustainable living; global health; and various cultures.

Off-Campus Housing

Within walking distance of campus, the University maintains nine undergraduate off-campus apartment buildings for full-time, single transfer, and upper-division students. Apartments vary from singles to three-bedroom units, with bedrooms usually shared by two or three students. Not all types of apartment spaces are available to entering students. Virtual tours are available online.

Married, single-parent, and single graduate students are accommodated in six off-campus apartments; some are located within walking distance of campus, others about five miles from campus and served by a campus shuttle. Apartments include furnished and unfurnished studio and one-, two-, and three-bedroom units. Assignment to several apartments is by wait list; students must be accepted to UCLA to apply.

The Community Housing Office (CHO) publishes information and listings for non-University-owned apartments, cooperatives, private apartments, roommates, rooms in private homes, and short-term housing. Rental listings are updated daily. CHO also has bus schedules, area maps, and neighborhood profiles. A current BruinCard or letter of acceptance is required for service.

Many of the fraternities and sororities at UCLA own chapter houses. Complete information and membership requirements are published by Fraternity and Sorority Life.


Automated teller machines representing several major banks are located in Ackerman Union and near restaurants and shops around campus.

The University Credit Union has an office in West Los Angeles and a branch office in Ackerman Union.


The UCLA BruinCard is a mandatory campuswide identification card that can electronically confirm student status and eligibility for services. Supportive photo identification—such as a driver’s license or state ID, passport, or military ID—is required when the card is issued.

The primary BruinCard benefit is convenience. It is a versatile card that serves the following functions: confirmation of student status; ID card for faculty, staff, and students; residence hall access and meal card; laundry, library, and recreation card; debit card (if activated) for purchases at campus stores and restaurants on and off campus; and discounted access to Santa Monica and Culver City bus lines.

Students with an outstanding financial, academic, or administrative hold may not receive BruinCard services until the hold is released by the initiating office. For details on outstanding holds and initiating offices, check MyUCLA.

The BruinCard center is located in 123 Kerckhoff Hall. See the BruinCard website to check account balance, make deposits, view recent transactions, and report lost or stolen cards.

Bruin Resource Center

The Bruin Resource Center (BRC) in the Student Activities Center can help students navigate the campus and its many services by directing them to the correct office or personnel to meet their specific needs.

The center offers services to all UCLA students, including specialized services for transfer and re-entry students, students who are transitioning out of foster care, student parents, and veterans. Additional offerings include workshops and academic courses to help students develop practical skills and knowledge to succeed at UCLA.

The BRC also houses the Veterans Resource Office, which offers services specifically designed to assist students who are U.S. armed forces veterans or current military members.

Career Center

The UCLA Career Center, located in the Strathmore Building, offers career planning and employment assistance free to all UCLA students.

Career Planning and Exploration

Career counselors provide assistance in selecting a major, setting realistic career goals, investigating career options, evaluating graduate and professional school programs, and developing skills to conduct a successful job search. Information on local, national, and international internship opportunities can assist students in exploring different career possibilities, making important professional contacts, and obtaining valuable on-the-job experience. The Career Center library offers a collection of over 3,000 resources, including career-related books and directories, videos, periodicals, and other materials. The Career Center also offers workshops on a variety of career-related topics; many are repeated several times each term.

Employment Assistance

Students who need extra money to finance their college degree can find a large number of part-time, temporary, and seasonal employment leads advertised through the Career Center 24-hour BruinViewTM online listings. Students and recent graduates looking for full-time, entry-level career positions may access hundreds of current professional, managerial, and technical openings in numerous career fields. Seniors and graduate students may participate in campus interviews for positions in corporations, government, not-for-profit organizations, elementary and secondary schools, community colleges, and four-year academic institutions. Annual career fairs and special events offer additional opportunities to meet potential employers.

Center for Accessible Education

The Center for Accessible Education (CAE) in A255 Murphy Hall offers academic support services to regularly enrolled students with documented permanent or temporary disabilities in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and University policies. Services include campus orientation and accessibility, notetakers, reader service, sign-language interpreters, registration assistance, test-taking facilitation, special parking assistance, real-time captioning, assistive listening devices, on-campus transportation, adaptive equipment, support groups and workshops, tutorial referral, special materials, housing appeals, referral to the Disabilities and Computing Program, and processing of California Department of Rehabilitation authorizations. There is no fee for any of these services. All contacts and assistance are handled confidentially.

For information on the Disabilities and Computing Program, see Services for Study under Student Services earlier in this chapter.

Central Ticket Office

Tickets for UCLA events are available at the Central Ticket Office (CTO) in the James West Alumni Center. As part of its service, the CTO offers students with current BruinCards discount tickets to campus athletic and cultural events and local movies. Students may also purchase tickets to off-campus events through Ticketmaster, as well as student discount tickets for Los Angeles-area buses.

Child Care

UCLA Early Care and Education (ECE) operates three accredited child care centers near the University and student housing. Care is available for children two months to six years old at most centers. Fees depend on the age of the child. A limited number of state grants and partial scholarship subsidies is available for eligible student families.

The ECE Child Care Resource Program helps parents make off-campus child care arrangements and coordinates a Choosing Child Care Forum each month.

University Parents Nursery School is a UCLA-affiliated, parent-participation, multicultural cooperative school for two- through five-year-old children of UCLA students, faculty, and staff. It is located in the University Village Child Care Complex.

Dean of Students/Student Conduct

The Office of the Dean of Students in Murphy Hall helps students, either directly or by referral, with whatever needs they might have. Direct services include general counseling; sending emergency messages to students; and assisting in understanding University policies and procedures, including grievance procedures regarding student records, discrimination, and student debts.

The office publishes Official Notices in the Daily Bruin at various times during the year. Such notices are important, and all students are held responsible for the information in them.

The Student Conduct office administers campus discipline and enforces the standards of citizenship that students are expected to follow at UCLA. Standards involve complying with the policies and regulations governing this campus and being aware that violation of those policies or regulations can result in disciplinary action. Refer to Student Conduct Policies in Appendix A for more information.

International Student Services

International student services, based in Bradley International Hall, offer support for the UCLA international community, particularly for nonimmigrant students. An online orientation program helps international students become familiar with visa regulations, campus life at UCLA, and life in the U.S. Programs throughout the year allow them to share viewpoints with American students and the community.

Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars

The Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars assists students with questions about immigration, employment, government regulations, financial aid, academic and administrative procedures, cultural adjustment, and personal matters. The center seeks to improve student and community relationships; helps international students with language, housing, and personal concerns; and sponsors cultural, educational, and social programs. The center offers visa assistance for faculty members, researchers, and postdoctoral scholars.

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Campus Resource Center

The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) Campus Resource Center in the Student Activities Center offers education, information, and advocacy services for the UCLA community. The center offers support groups, educational workshops, training seminars, and social activities; and maintains a library of 4,000 books, periodicals, and films. The staff provides confidential assistance and support to students, faculty, and staff who feel they have experienced harassment or discrimination or who wish to connect to the campus LGBT community.

Office of Ombuds Services

The Office of Ombuds Services responds to issues and concerns from students, staff, faculty, and administrators. Acting impartially, ombuds persons may investigate unresolved conflicts or facilitate the resolution of problems for which there are no established guidelines; and may also, where possible and when requested, assist in resolving an issue through mediation (including sexual harassment cases). The office is located in the Strathmore Building.

Parking and Commuter Services

Parking permits, ridesharing, and other commuting alternatives and services are offered through UCLA Transportation.

Commuter Services

Bruin Commuter Services (BCS), 100 Strathmore Building, offers transportation and commuting information so students can get to and from campus without driving a car. Many students form or join existing UCLA carpools or vanpools. Students can use Zimride to find one-time rides or create a carpool. More than 160 vanpools commute to UCLA from 85 Southern California communities, with full- and part-time riding opportunities. The Bruin Commuter Club offers special benefits and incentives to eligible UCLA students who ride public transit, a UCLA vanpool, or carpool. Students may also rent a car by the hour through Zipcar. BCS can also help students use the extensive Los Angeles-area public transit network.

Parking Permits

All commuter students qualify for parking but permits are not guaranteed. Students must be registered for the current term to apply for parking. Parking offers are prioritized according to class level, commuter or campus resident status, and school. Within each category, carpools have priority, and carpool permits are offered at a discounted rate. All carpool members must qualify under the carpool parking requirements. Students who are not offered parking in one term must reapply for parking in the next term.

Students living within ZIP code 90024 must pay the residence hall parking rate. Students living on campus (excluding Regents’ Scholars) must have paid employment, paid internship, or an academic apprenticeship to qualify for parking.

Students with permanent disabilities who have disabled person placards or DMV-issued disabled person license plates, and students with short-term disabilities, may apply to the Center for Accessible Education (CAE) for parking assignments.

Post Offices

Campus mail is handled by UCLA Mail, Document, and Distribution Services (MDDS), which offers full-service document processing and delivery for the campus community.

ASUCLA operates a U.S. Postal Service express post office on A Level in Ackerman Union. MDDS operates a U.S. Postal Service contract post office in Wilshire Center off campus.

Student Legal Services

Through Student Legal Services in Murphy Hall, currently registered students with legal problems or questions about their legal rights can get assistance from attorneys or law students under direct supervision of attorneys. They help students resolve legal problems, including those related to landlord/tenant relations; accident and injury problems; criminal matters; domestic violence and harassment; divorces and other family law matters; automobile purchase, repair, and insurance problems; health care, credit, and financial aid issues; consumer problems; and University-related issues. Assistance is available only by appointment.

Veterans Affairs Services

The veterans affairs benefits officer provides assistance with benefit information, waivers, enrollment certification, and coordinating transitions to and from active duty. For more information see the Registrar’s veteran services web page.

Part of the Bruin Resource Center, the Veterans Resource Office (VRO) helps veterans navigate UCLA and furnishes mentoring, guidance on educational benefits, and tools to succeed academically and personally through a variety of programs and services.

   Catalog Administration    About    Contacts/Hours     MyUCLA    Student Affairs     UCLA.edu    © Regents UC             Register to Vote