logo: UCLA Registrar's Officeclickable image map to Registrar's Office home page     Forms  Archives    

UCLA General Catalog 2017-18

CATALOG HOME   blue vertical divider graphic  ABOUT UCLA   blue vertical divider graphic  MAJORS AND DEGREES   blue vertical divider graphic  COLLEGE AND SCHOOLS   blue vertical divider graphic  UNDERGRADUATE STUDY
GRADUATE STUDY  blue vertical divider graphic  ACADEMIC POLICIES   blue vertical divider graphic  CURRICULA AND COURSES   blue vertical divider graphic  APPENDIXES   blue vertical divider graphic  CATALOG PDF
    Academic Policies



Students must satisfy University requirements, College or school requirements, and department requirements as described in this catalog.

Undergraduate Degrees

Undergraduate degree requirements are subject to the following degree policies.

Student Responsibility

It is the responsibility of students to keep informed of and to comply with the rules, regulations, and policies affecting their academic standing. Meeting academic deadlines, monitoring the study list for accuracy, completing requisites, and fulfilling degree requirements are all part of their academic duties as students.

Minimum Scholarship

The grades A through C and Passed (P) denote satisfactory progress toward the bachelor’s degree. The grades C- through D- yield unit credit but may not satisfy certain scholarship requirements. Even when they do, they must be offset by grades of C+ or better in other courses. Students must earn at least a C (2.0) average in all courses taken at any University of California campus. Students who fail to maintain this level may be placed on academic probation or may become subject to dismissal. The College and each school may set additional scholarship requirements.

Academic Probation

Students are placed on probation if their overall or term grade-point average falls between 1.5 and 1.99. While they are on probation, they may not take any course on a Passed/Not Passed (P/NP) basis. Probation ends at the close of a regular term if students have attained a C (2.0) average for the term and a cumulative C average in all University work. Students who do not end probation within two terms are subject to dismissal.

Academic Dismissal

Students are subject to dismissal from UCLA under any of the following conditions:

  • Their grade-point average in any one term is less than 1.5, or
  • They do not earn at least a C (2.0) average in any term when they are on probation, or
  • They do not end probation within two terms

If students are subject to dismissal, their transcripts carry that notation. They should make an appointment with their College or school counselor. Depending on the situation, they are given conditions for continuation or are dismissed from the University.

Progress toward the Degree

UCLA is a full-time institution, and it is expected that students complete their undergraduate degree requirements promptly. Normal progress toward graduation in four years is defined as the completion of 45 units per year, or 15 units per term.

Minimum Progress and Expected Cumulative Progress

The College and each school enforces minimum progress regulations. The College also enforces expected cumulative progress regulations. Students may be subject to disqualification for failing to meet minimum progress and expected cumulative progress requirements. See the College and Schools chapter for specific minimum progress and expected cumulative progress and study list regulations.


A petition is a form submitted to explain an exception from any standard rule or regulation of the University. It is the only way to obtain formal approval from the department, the College or school, the Registrar, or office with authority over the particular request. Some petitions require a fee.

Some uses of petitions are to change the College, school, or major; take more or fewer units than regulations permit; make changes to the study list after MyUCLA processing ends; or obtain credit by examination. In addition, students may petition for concurrent enrollment, double major, or waiver of scholarship requirements.

Transfer Credit

Every California community college has transfer course agreements that specify which courses will receive transfer credit. These courses are displayed on ASSIST, the statewide transfer information website. Students can get some knowledge of transfer credit from accredited institutions other than the University of California or California community college by comparing the descriptions of courses taken with those in the UCLA General Catalog.

Once students complete the courses, they must have the other institution send official, sealed transcripts to UCLA Undergraduate Admission, 1147 Murphy Hall, Box 951436, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1436. Transfer students should discuss transfer credit with their College or school counselor and/or department adviser.

Community College/Lower Division Transfer Limitation

Effective for students admitted fall 2017 and later, after completing 105 lower-division quarter units toward the degree in all institutions attended, students are allowed no further unit credit for courses completed at a community college or for lower-division courses completed at any institution outside of the University of California. The University of California does not grant transfer credit for community college or lower-division courses beyond 105 quarter units, but students may still receive subject credit for this coursework to satisfy lower-division requirements. Units earned through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and/or A-Level examinations are not included in the limitation. Units earned at any UC campus (through extension, summer, cross-campus, UCEAP, Intercampus Visitor Program, and regular academic year enrollment) are not included in the limitation. To convert semester units into quarter units, multiply the semester units by 1.5; for example, 12 semester units x 1.5 = 18 quarter units. To convert quarter units into semester units, multiply the quarter units by .666; for example, 12 quarter units x .666 = 7.99 or 8 semester units.

Summer Sessions

Summer sessions grades at any UC campus are computed in the UCLA grade-point average.

UCLA Extension

Students who wish to receive degree credit for work taken through UCLA Extension should take courses that correspond in number to the undergraduate courses offered in regular session. The designation XL or XLC before the number of the Extension course signifies that the course is equivalent to the regular session course bearing the same number. Grades earned by undergraduate students in the College of Letters and Science, the School of Arts and Architecture, and the Herb Alpert School of Music in courses prefixed by XLC are computed in the UCLA grade-point average. No degree credit is given for courses numbered X300 through X499. Concurrent enrollment in Extension and regular session is not permitted.

Degree Checks

Anytime prior to graduation, students may request a review of degree progress. These official degree checks detail requirements remaining to complete the bachelor’s degree. The degree check process may be different for the College and each school. The Degree Audit is a computer-generated assessment of all degree requirements and the courses taken to fulfill them. The Degree Audit may be viewed and printed through MyUCLA, or may be ordeed at a College or school counseling office.

College of Letters and Science

Degree Audits are available through MyUCLA and on request from a College advising office (Academic Advancement Program, 1205 Campbell Hall; Honors Programs, A311 Murphy Hall; College Academic Counseling, A316 Murphy Hall). Students should review their Degree Audit with department undergraduate advisers and College advisers to ensure that all requirements will be satisfied.

School of the Arts and Architecture

Degree Audits are available through MyUCLA and on request from the Office of Student Services, 2200 Broad Art Center. Students should consult a department Student Services adviser when they have questions about degree requirements. Specific questions regarding major requirements should be referred to the department counselor.

Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science

Degree Audits are available through MyUCLA for students who entered fall quarter 2012 and later. Students who entered prior to fall quarter 2012 use the HSSEAS Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) to determine which degree requirements are left to complete. Students should obtain an official degree check at least one term prior to their graduation term, and can make an appointment to see their academic counselor at 6426 Boelter Hall. For details, see the HSSEAS undergraduate degree audit website.

Herb Alpert School of Music

Degree Audits are available through MyUCLA and on request from the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management, 1642 Schoenberg Music Building. Students should consult an adviser in this office when they have questions about department, school, or UCLA degree requirements.

School of Nursing

Degree Audits are available through MyUCLA for students who entered fall quarter 2012 and later. Students who entered prior to fall quarter 2012 may request their most recent degree check from the undergraduate student affairs adviser in 2-147 Factor Building.

School of Theater, Film, and Television

Degree Audits are available through MyUCLA for students who entered fall quarter 2012 and later. Students who entered prior to fall quarter 2012 should make an appointment with their department counselor in the Student Services Office, 103 East Melnitz Building. Students entering as freshmen receive a written degree check on achieving junior standing; those entering as juniors receive a degree check on entry. Students may initiate or request an updated degree check by making an appointment with their department counselor.

Graduate Degrees

For graduate degree requirements and procedures, see Program Requirements for UCLA Graduate Degrees and Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA.

Certificate of Resident Study

International students who must leave the University and the country before completing a degree or certificate program may request a Certificate of Resident Study in addition to a formal transcript. The certificate cannot be awarded if the studies involved are covered by a diploma or other certificate. The chair of the major department recommends award of the certificate through a petition to the College, school, or Graduate Division. To be eligible to receive the certificate, students must have completed a program of at least nine courses with a minimum GPA of 2.0 (2.5 for Graduate Division students) and have satisfactorily completed a research project over a period of nine months or more.

   Catalog Administration    About    Contacts/Hours     MyUCLA    Student Affairs     UCLA.edu    © Regents UC             Register to Vote