logo: UCLA Registrar's Officeclickable image map to Registrar's Office home page     Forms  Archives    

UCLA General Catalog 2017-18

CATALOG HOME   blue vertical divider graphic  ABOUT UCLA   blue vertical divider graphic  MAJORS AND DEGREES   blue vertical divider graphic  COLLEGE AND SCHOOLS   blue vertical divider graphic  UNDERGRADUATE STUDY
GRADUATE STUDY  blue vertical divider graphic  ACADEMIC POLICIES   blue vertical divider graphic  CURRICULA AND COURSES   blue vertical divider graphic  APPENDIXES   blue vertical divider graphic  CATALOG PDF
    College of Letters and Science

Policies and Regulations


Degree requirements are subject to policies and regulations, including the following:

Student Responsibility

Students should take advantage of academic support resources, but they are ultimately responsible for keeping informed of and complying with the rules, regulations, and policies affecting their academic standing.

Study List

The study list is a record of classes that a student is taking for a particular term. The allowable study list load is up to 19 units. After the first term, students may petition to enroll in more than 19 units if they attained at least a B average the preceding term in a total program of at least 15 units and have an overall grade-point average of 3.0. First-term transfer students from any other campus of the University may carry excess units on the same basis as students who have completed one or more terms at UCLA; however, they are not encouraged to do so.

Progress toward the Degree

UCLA is a full-time institution, and it is expected that students complete their undergraduate degree requirements promptly. Normal progress toward graduation in four years is defined as the completion of 45 units per year, or 15 units per term.

The Degree Audit is a record of degree requirements and the courses taken to fulfill them. Students are responsible for monitoring their progress toward the degree. They must read and understand the catalog, check the online catalog for updates, and consult regularly with the College and department counselors to confirm they are satisfying all program requirements. Department counselors advise students on progress and completion of the major requirements. Counselors in College Academic Counseling, the Academic Advancement Program, Honors Programs, and Student Athletics Counseling assist students with College requirements, degree planning, and Degree Audits on request. Students can also view Degree Audits through MyUCLA.

Minimum Progress/Expected Cumulative Progress

During a regular term of enrollment, undergraduate students in the College are required to enroll in a minimum of 13 units. Students are also required to meet cumulative progress unit expectations as outlined in the Expected Cumulative Progress table.

The following courses count toward minimum progress and expected cumulative progress, as well as any other degree requirement, but are exempt from the maximum unit limit of 216:

19 (Fiat Lux)
88S (Undergraduate Student Initiated Education [USIE] seminars)
89 and 189 (honors seminars)
89HC and 189HC (honors contracts)
M97X (PEERS lectures)
98X, 98XA, and 98XB (PEERS laboratories)
99 (student research tutorials)
190 (research colloquia)
193 (journal club seminars)
194 (research group or internship seminars)
Honors Collegium 101A through 101J
Mathematics 71SL and 72SL
Science Education 1SL and 10SL

Reduced Fee Programs

While full-time study is expected and required of students, some students may qualify for part-time study due to compelling reasons of occupation, home and family responsibilities, or health. Under this policy, part-time status is defined as 10 units or less per term based on enrolled units at the end of the third week, and is presumed to be of a permanent nature. On approval of part-time status, a reduction of the tuition fee by one half and a reduction of the nonresident supplemental tuition fee by one half are approved.

To be eligible for part-time study, students must provide documentation of occupation, home and family responsibility, or health that prevents them from carrying a full-time study load, as well as documentation of a need for part-time study for a minimum of three consecutive terms. Once approved for part-time study, students must complete two courses of 10 units or less in each of the three consecutive terms. Only under documented extraordinary circumstances is a one-course study list approved. Documentation must specify that a one-course study list is warranted.

Students should obtain a Fee Reduction Request from the Registrar’s reduced fee programs web page. The application for part-time study must be submitted with accompanying documentation by Friday of the second week of the term. Students approved for part-time study who become enrolled in or receive credit for more than 10 units during a term must pay the full fees for that term.

Declaring a Major

Students are expected to select a major by the beginning of their junior year. This may be a program of related upper-division courses within a single department (departmental major) or a group of related courses involving a number of departments (interdepartmental major) or, under certain circumstances, a group of courses selected to meet a special need (individual capstone major).

Most entering freshmen are unsure about specific academic goals and request to be admitted to the College as “undeclared.” These students then explore fields of study by taking introductory courses in the physical and life sciences, social sciences, and humanities in search of an area that most excites their interest.

All students with 90 or more units toward a degree are expected to declare a premajor or a major. When they are ready to do so, they obtain approval from the department or interdepartmental degree committee that governs their intended major.

Changing a Major

Students in good academic standing who wish to change their major may petition to do so provided they can complete the new major within the 216-unit limit and are on track to graduate on time. Petitions must be submitted to and approved by the department or committee in charge of the new major. Admission to certain majors may be closed or restricted; changes are normally not permitted if students are on probation or have begun their last term.

Students who fail to attain a grade-point average of 2.0 (C) in preparation for the major or major courses may be denied the privilege of entering or continuing in that major. Some departments may have higher grade-point requirements for their preparation and major courses or other restrictions; consult the appropriate department regarding minimum standards and eligibility requirements.

Re-entering Students and Their Majors

Students returning to the University to resume their studies after an absence of several years may find their previous major area of study no longer available. They then must select a current major in which to complete their studies. Consult an academic adviser for assistance.

Credit Limitations

The following credit limitations apply to all undergraduate students enrolled in the College. In many cases units are not deducted until the final term before graduation. Students with questions should consult an academic adviser.

Transfer students with credit from other institutions (advanced standing credit) receive a Degree Progress Report (DPR) or Degree Audit from Undergraduate Admission indicating the transferable units from former institutions; however, the following credit limitations may reduce the total number of transferred units that apply toward the degree in the College. Consult an adviser in College Academic Counseling about these limitations.

Advanced Placement Examinations. Advanced Placement (AP) Examination credit may not be applied toward a degree unless students had less than 36 units of credit at the time of the examination(s). See the AP table on the Admission AP credit web page for UCLA course equivalents and credit allowed for GE requirements.

College Level Examination Program. Credit earned through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and through the California State University English Equivalency Examination may not be applied toward the bachelor’s degree.

Community College/Lower Division Transfer Limitation. Effective for students admitted fall 2017 and later, after completing 105 lower-division quarter units toward the degree in all institutions attended, students are allowed no further unit credit for courses completed at a community college or for lower-division courses completed at any institution outside of the University of California.

Credit by Examination. Within the College, eligibility for credit by examination is usually limited to students who have been approved as Departmental Scholars or who are admitted to a departmental honors program or Honors Programs. Students who have completed a minimum of 12 units at UCLA with a minimum 3.5 overall grade-point average may petition for credit by examination. The examination for that course must be taken successfully before they may petition for credit by examination in another course.

Students may receive credit by examination for only one course out of 10 courses completed. Credit by examination may not be used to gain credit for prior knowledge, audited courses, or courses taken elsewhere. Units for a course taken by examination are applied toward the 216-unit maximum allowable units for graduation. Petitions for credit by examination (with fee) are available only through an appointment with a counselor in Honors Programs, A311 Murphy Hall.

Education Abroad Program. Students participating in the Education Abroad Program may receive a maximum of 48 units of credit toward the degree in addition to the 8 units maximum allowed for the Intensive Language Program.

Foreign Language. Credit is not allowed for completing a less advanced course in grammar and/or composition after students have received credit for a more advanced course. College credit for an international student’s native language and literature is allowed for (1) courses taken in native colleges and universities or (2) upper-division (advanced language courses only) and graduate courses taken at the University of California or another English-speaking institution of approved standing. No credit is allowed for lower-division courses.

Performance Courses. No more than 12 units of music and/or dance performance courses (Dance 5, 6 through 16, 56 through 65, C109A, C113A, 114, C115, 116, Ethnomusicology 91A through 91Z, 161A through 161Z, Music 60A through 65, C90A through 90S, 160A through 165, and World Arts and Cultures 114) may be applied toward the bachelor’s degree whether taken at UCLA or another institution.

Physical Education. No more than 4 units in physical education activities courses may be applied toward the bachelor’s degree.

Physics Courses. Any two or more courses from Physics 1A, 1AH, and 6A are limited to a total of 6 units of credit.

ROTC Courses. For students contracted in the Aerospace Studies Department, 36 units of aerospace studies credit may be applied toward the requirements for the bachelor’s degree; for students contracted in the Military Science Department, 26 units of military science credit may be applied; for students contracted in the Naval Science Department, 26 units of naval science credit may be applied.

Statistics Courses. Credit is allowed for only one of the following introductory statistics courses: Statistics 10, 12, 13 (or former 10H, 11, or 14), or any equivalent course taken at UCLA or another institution.

Upper-Division Tutorials. No more than 8 units of credit may be taken per term in upper-division tutorials numbered 195 through 199. The total number of units allowed in such courses for a letter grade is 32; see specific restrictions under each departmental listing.

300- and 400-Level Courses. No more than 8 units in the 300 and 400 series of courses may be applied toward the bachelor’s degree. Credit is not granted for X300 and X400 courses taken in UCLA Extension.

   Catalog Administration    About    Contacts/Hours     MyUCLA    Student Affairs     UCLA.edu    © Regents UC             Register to Vote