logo: UCLA Registrar's Officeclickable image map to Registrar's Office home page     Forms  Archives    

UCLA General Catalog 2017-18

CATALOG HOME   blue vertical divider graphic  ABOUT UCLA   blue vertical divider graphic  MAJORS AND DEGREES   blue vertical divider graphic  COLLEGE AND SCHOOLS   blue vertical divider graphic  UNDERGRADUATE STUDY
GRADUATE STUDY  blue vertical divider graphic  ACADEMIC POLICIES   blue vertical divider graphic  CURRICULA AND COURSES   blue vertical divider graphic  APPENDIXES   blue vertical divider graphic  CATALOG PDF
    School of Engineering and Applied Science

Department Requirements


Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science departments generally set two types of requirements that must be satisfied for the award of the degree: preparation for the major (lower-division courses) and the major (upper-division courses). Preparation for the major courses should be completed before beginning upper-division work.

Preparation for the Major

A major requires completion of a set of courses known as preparation for the major. Each department sets its own preparation for the major requirements; see the Curricula and Courses chapter of this catalog.

The Major

Students must complete their major with a scholarship average of at least a 2.0 (C) in all courses in order to remain in the major. Each course in the major department must be taken for a letter grade. See the Curricula and Courses chapter of this catalog for details on each major.

Minors and Double Majors

HSSEAS students in good academic standing may be permitted a minor or double major. The minor or second major must be outside the school (e.g., Electrical Engineering major and Economics major). HSSEAS students are not permitted to double major with two school majors (e.g., Chemical Engineering and Civil Engineering). Students may file an Undergraduate Request to Double Major or Add Minor form at the Office of Academic and Student Affairs. The school determines final approval of a minor or double major request; review is done on a case by case basis, and filing the request does NOT guarantee approval.

While HSSEAS considers minor or double major requests, specializations are not considered at this time. Students interested in a minor or double major should meet with their counselor in 6426 Boelter Hall.

   Catalog Administration    About    Contacts/Hours     MyUCLA    Student Affairs     UCLA.edu    © Regents UC             Register to Vote