logo: UCLA Registrar's Officeclickable image map to Registrar's Office home page     Forms  Archives    

UCLA General Catalog 2017-18

CATALOG HOME   blue vertical divider graphic  ABOUT UCLA   blue vertical divider graphic  MAJORS AND DEGREES   blue vertical divider graphic  COLLEGE AND SCHOOLS   blue vertical divider graphic  UNDERGRADUATE STUDY
GRADUATE STUDY  blue vertical divider graphic  ACADEMIC POLICIES   blue vertical divider graphic  CURRICULA AND COURSES   blue vertical divider graphic  APPENDIXES   blue vertical divider graphic  CATALOG PDF
    Herb Alpert School of Music

Policies and Regulations


Degree requirements are subject to policies and regulations, including the following:

Student Responsibility

Students should take advantage of academic support resources, but they are ultimately responsible for keeping informed of and complying with the rules, regulations, and policies affecting their academic standing.

Study List

Each term the student study list must include from 15 to 20 units. The school has no provision for part-time enrollment. After the first term, students may petition to carry more than 20 units if they have an overall grade-point average of 3.0 (B) or better and have attained at least a B average in the preceding term with all courses passed. Consult the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management no later than the end of the second week of instruction.

Minimum Progress

Students are expected to complete satisfactorily at least 40 units during any three consecutive terms in residence; they are placed on probation if they fail to pass these units. They are subject to disqualification if they fail to pass at least 32 units in three consecutive regular terms in residence.

Changing a Major

Students in good academic standing who wish to change their major may petition to do so, provided they can complete the new major within the 216-unit limit and normal time to degree (12 terms for students who entered as freshmen; six terms for students who entered as transfers). Petitions must be submitted to and approved by the department or committee in charge of the new major. Admission to certain majors may be closed or restricted; changes are normally not permitted if students are on probation or have begun their last term.

Concurrent Enrollment

Enrollment at a non-UC institution or at UCLA Extension while enrolled at UCLA is not permitted.

Credit Limitations

The following credit limitations apply to all undergraduate students enrolled in the school:

Advanced Placement Examinations. Credit earned through the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations may be applied toward certain University/school requirements. Consult a counselor in the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management to determine applicable credit. Portions of AP Examination credit may be evaluated by corresponding UCLA course numbers (e.g., French 4). If students take the equivalent UCLA course, unit credit for such duplication is deducted before graduation. See the school AP table for UCLA course equivalents and credit allowed for GE requirements.

Graduate Courses. Undergraduate students who wish to take courses numbered in the 200 series for credit toward a specific degree requirement must petition for advance approval of the department chair and the dean of the school and must meet the specific qualifications. Courses numbered in the 400 and 500 series may not be applied toward the degree.

   Catalog Administration    About    Contacts/Hours     MyUCLA    Student Affairs     UCLA.edu    © Regents UC             Register to Vote